Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Personal Development Has a High ROI


As we settle in to this new season, it makes me think about how seasons are so much more than just times of the year.  As a result I've decided to personalize this coming season.  We don't have to wait for a new year to set goals and make positive changes.  A new month, a birthday, an anniversary, a new week, a new day and a new hour are all perfect opportunities for new beginnings.  

I love to use new seasons as my markers for new beginnings because everything and everyone that comes into your life is for a season.  Some seasons are longer than others but most leave you with a lesson that allows you to come out better than you were before.  

This might be your season of health and wellness, your season of financial literacy, or your season of focus on family.  This is my season of personal development.  Whether we realize it or not, we invest so much in making other people's dreams come true,  that very little is left over for our own self improvement.  Think about it?   How much do you really invest in personal development?  Now when I say personal development, I don't mean getting your hair and nails done.  Don't get me wrong, that is very important too.  But that goes under self-care which is another subject.  When I say investing in personal development I mean investing time and money into books, classes, workshops,  mentors, coaches, conferences and networking opportunities that move you forward in the mission and vision that you have for your life. 

We tend to invest in high risk things where we may get little or no return, but self investment is a win- win situation.  When you invest in yourself, the return is always high.  In the financial world the acronym, ROI stands for Return On Investment.  This speaks to the amount that you get back when you invest in something.  When you invest in yourself, the return is priceless.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true. I am in a very challenging season right now but I believe God is preparing me for the next level. I was told "if you don't take care of yourself no one else will." I believe sometimes you have to be selfish (not in a bad sense). #1 reason women have panic attacks and nervous breakdowns is because women tend to put their children and husband before them over a long amount of time. I try to help my wife as much as possible around the house and with our daughter.

    ReplyDelete