Monday, June 21, 2010

The Passenger's Seat

I often take long road trips to literary events or to visit book clubs in other cities around the United States, so it may come as a surprise to you that I AM NOT a big fan of driving.  As the hours go by I find myself saying, “I really wish that I was in the passenger seat.”

When it comes to life, work and relationships we often try to dictate, manipulate and control our destiny.  This may just sound like a person is being ambitious or a go getter, but is it actually a lack of faith?  We always say that people should “make it happen” but in doing that are we short changing the true possibilities of what we could have if we allowed ourselves to be led?
Think about a sports team.  Every team has a captain.  In order to be a captain one must be a strong leader. ..BUT every captain has a coach. 

Don’t get me wrong…it is great to be driven….but that has a duel meaning.  Think about it.  If you are a driven person then you set goals, get things done, have a vision, you’re a go getter, etc…BUT if you are driven, or being driven…then that means there is a driver. So once again, you are in the passenger’s seat.

Now let’s look at it in terms of love and relationships…I may get a little personal or controversial here depending on your view point situation but keep in mind that these are just my thoughts and opinions.

I’m all about girl power and being an independent woman and everything but there is nothing like getting all dolled up and having a man pick me up for a date.  When I have to pick up a man, all of the time, I find myself feeling cheated or frustrated.  I understand that everyone falls upon hard times, and not everyone chooses to have a car, but that is another one of those times where I find myself saying, “I just want to be in the passenger’s seat.”

So you see, the passenger’s seat is not at all a bad thing, it is actually a metaphor for so much more. 

In a marriage it symbolizes how a man should be able to lead his wife and family.  In business and life it represents how although we should still put in the work, we should exercise our faith, let go of the wheel and trust that God has the power to lead us farther than we can ever take ourselves.

I still have so much more to say on this subject, but for now…let that marinate, then let go and let yourself be led by faith and by the One that is far more qualified and capable than you to steer your life in the right direction…Get in the passenger’s seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment