Saturday, November 21, 2009

Put It In your Workout

When I was in high school I had an amazing acting teacher that would always say, “Put it in your work!” What she meant was that we needed to take the energy that we spent being angry, upset, sad, or emotional and put it into our work on the stage. I have since moved from the stage to the page as far as my artistic career goes, but that saying has always stuck with me.

I definitely “Put it in my work” when it comes to writing, but lately I’ve decided to do the same thing when it comes to exercise.

I was watching Creflo Dollar one day and he said, “We can’t stop birds from flying around our head, but we can stop them from building a nest in our hair.” He used this saying to illustrate how we don’t have to entertain all of the thoughts that cross our mind. He then went on to tell a story about how he had the strangest thought. He said he was in a store one day standing behind an old lady when he thought, “What if I just pushed her?” I laughed so hard when I heard him say that, but the truth is that in addition to all of the other emotions that we have daily, no matter how nice we are, we often just want to punch or slap someone.

So where can we place these thoughts and feelings in order to avoid carrying them out?

“Put it in your work OUT!”

That is one of the main reasons that I took up kickboxing. It is the best stress reliever. When I am in front of a 100 pound punching bag with my gloves on I picture all of the people and things that frustrate me and I take it out on that bag. It’s a much safer and healthier alternative to putting the smack down on someone. The same is the case with any type of exercise. Take all of that built up resentment, worry, frustration and irritation and “Put it in your work out!”
The benefits are endless. You will lose weight, feel great….and avoid catching a case. So the next time someone or something gets under your skin... “Put it in your work out!”

No comments:

Post a Comment