Sunday, September 20, 2009

Don't Be Selfish With Yourself

Yesterday I went to the movies with my favorite date...Me! I remember a time where I was afraid to go out by myself. I used to look at other people that I would see out by themselves and think, "Oh, poor thing, they must be lonely. They must not have any friends." Boy was I wrong!

Going out by yourself is not about loneliness or lack of friends. It is actually a liberating and enjoyable experience that is more so about being confident. My fear of going out alone was based on my own insecurities and my concern with what others would think of me.

Going out alone also gives you an opportunity to get to know and love yourself, which is a key component of being able to have healthy relationships with others. It's somewhat ironic that I went out to the movies by myself because I went to see Tyler Perry's new movie, "I Can Do Bad All By Myself."

I won't give away the story for those who have not seen it yet, but the main character had never taken much time to get to know or love herself and it had a huge impact on her ability to love others. With that said I highly recommend that you go and see that movie because the message is a powerful one that really hit home for me and had me in tears when I wasn't laughing at Madea's inserts of comic relief.

This week I also challenge you to take yourself out on a date, especially those of you that have never gone out to dinner or a movie alone before. There are several benefits, but the most important one of all is that you get to spend some quality time with you.

Sincerely,
Monica Marie Jones
The Inspirationista
www.monicamariejones.com

No comments:

Post a Comment